problems building a kernel for cris

hi, we are new to this platform and trying to build the kernel. i followed the
procedure as in the instructions, having gcc and cris-dist, and i'm having
problems doing "make kernel". it stops somewhere and gives the following error:

scripts/split-include include/linux/autoconf.h include/config
/usr/local/cris/lib/gcc-lib/cris/2.96/gcc -D__KERNEL__
-I/home/eyal/projects/consultronix/reflash/axis/devboard_bt/os/linux/include
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe  -march=i686   -c -o init/main.o init/
main.c
cc1: Unknown CRIS version specification in -march= or -mcpu= : i686
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal 13

it seems that it is calling the cris compiler with the directive -march=i686 .
that is not good, i looks that the make files in the axis and the linux dist
been already customized to the cris configuration already. ( the linux make
file
has a definition for a cross compiler that is the cris ). also the make kernel
still asks for the architecture before the make is done and there are only x86
options there, so i just picked the default x86 (Pentium-Pro) - i am assuming
that this is normal.

any ideas anybody? i'm sure everybody goes through this kind of hurdles in the
beginning.

btw, i did run the "install" script to update the bluetooth tables, and sourced
the init_env. is there inything else that we missed?

thanks a lot,

eyal