RE: A few newbie questions

Hi,

>1. Is the BCM5201 in production and available in lowish quantities and
>if so from where?

The BCM5201 has been replaced by BCM5221. BCM5221 is almost identical
(but not pin compatible)

>For that matter how about the RJ45 jack etc. (I'm in
>the UK)

I don't know.

>2. If the answer to the above is no and no (as it were) has
>anyone used another device with success and if so what and are the
>drivers available?

The software is transceiver independent so any model should work
but we recommend BCM5221 since that is used in most products.

>3. The dev board comes with 4MB of flash, the flash
>image generated seems to be about 2MB. If I use the MCM in production am
>I likely to be embarrassed with insufficient memory?

It is easy to modify the software so that 4MB is used instead.
Used edit ptablespec (e.g. increase flash1 to 0x1f0000 and flash2
to 0x200000 if you need lots of JFFS or flash1 = 0x2a0000 if you
need lots of space for applications).

>4. Should I upgrade to the latest
>kernel 2.4.19 I used 2.4.14 because I always do what I'm told :-)

Yes. There are several performance and functionality improvements
between 2.4.14 and 2.4.19.

>5.Does anyone have a stable and relatively versatile USB solution up and
>running? I'm going to need to be able to plug in small memory type
>devices for example.

We can send you an experimental driver (tested with
bluetooth, realtek transceiver and cameras).

/Mikael