RE: framebuffer

If you add the following (taken from arch/i386/config.in)
to arch/cris/config.in right after "source fs/Config.in"
you should be able to enable the frame buffers (as long
as you have enabled experimental and virtual terminals:

if [ "$CONFIG_VT" = "y" ]; then
   mainmenu_option next_comment
   comment 'Console drivers'
   bool 'VGA text console' CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE
   bool 'Video mode selection support' CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT
   if [ "$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL" = "y" ]; then
      tristate 'MDA text console (dual-headed) (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE
      source drivers/video/Config.in
   fi
   endmenu
fi