FTP flash problems

Hi,

We are now deploying our units (based on the MCM chip) to the field. We have
tried flashing units from a central server by FTP, but the results we are
getting are not very satisfactory.

In our local LAN, when we are flashing units using FTP, we get roughly 70%
success rate. When the flash is not successful the unit usually hangs and we
need reboot the unit and try again. It usually works the second time.

It is nothing concrete yet, but we started to think that the reason for
these failures is some timing issue. We found that flashing failures seem to
be consistent when the machine we are using to FTP in our LAN is under heavy
load (e.g. compiling something), which led to this assumption about timing.

On our field WAN, the network is not very responsive and there can be long
delays while establishing connections. We are getting a 10% or so success
rate on this WAN, which makes FTP flashing completely unusable.

We believe that being able to flash the units using FTP is a very desirable
feature, and we would like to fix its problems and use it if possible. Do
you have other experiences about FTP flashing that can be helpful, or do you
know the likely reasons for it to fail? Are any fixes planned?

Regards,

Mahmut

---------------------
Mahmut Fettahlioglu
Software Architect

Open Access Pty Ltd
PO Box 301
Crows Nest NSW 1585

Phone		02 9978 7009
Fax		02 9978 7099
Email		<mahmut.fettahlioglu@xxxxxxx.au>
This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential and
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone
02 9978 7009 and destroy the original message.