RE: adding modules to the kernel

No. It should be there at the end of the rule called 'kernel'.
Look for CONFIG_MODULES in the top Makefile and you should
find  both the location where they are built and where they
are installed. You should not have to do anything manually
for the modules to be built and installed as long as you have
enabled CONFIG_MODULES in the kernel config, and marked which
parts should be built as modules.

//Peter