RE: serial ports on devboard_lx

Hi,

>Does ttyS1 carry RS-232 voltage level?

No

>Or would we have to use a level shifter to get RS-232 levels?

Yes

>Is this understanding correct?

Yes

>Q1. What are the UARTs used on the RS-232 ports?

The UARTs are built into the ETRAX 100LX. The transceiver (or
level shifter as you call them) is either NS14C335 or ADM3311
(refer to devloper board schematics
http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/devboard_lx/16907r2_sch.pdf)

>Q2. What is the UART on the RS-422/485 port?

The transcievers are MAX3483 or ADM348

>Q3. Is there a "hardware manual" for the board?

All available information is at:
http://developer.axis.com/doc/index.html

>Q4. What is the role of a "rescue" port?

If a flash upgrade fails there are two ways to restore the unit:

1. Download the code with the bootstrap code in the chip. Can boot
over network, serial or parallel but requires that some pins are
set to the correct value during reset.
2. In the start of the flash there is a piece of code that is
never erased called the resuce partition. This code can accept
a new firmware over the serial port (which serial port to use is
configured by a kernel configuration option).

We are in the progress of releasing a much improved rescue code
that will be based on RedBoot and have HTTP upload capabilities.

/Mikael