Kernel compilation

I've read how to write kernel drivers section in the documentation. But this documentation doesn't say aynthing about compiling the KERNEL.
I've dev board 82. I've change the makefile and config.in for the new driver. And I've seen it on make xconfig under etrax drivers section. Now what?
I've done make dep
I've done make (failed because of an error in shmem.c?)
then what will I do?
And how can I fix the make error (the error on shmem.c).

Thanks.