Setting priorities of tasks

Hello,

I have two tasks that I am running on my Devboard LX system.  I would like one task that is outputting messages on the parallel port.  I would like that task to be somewhat stable providing minimal jitter.  I was planning on using the nice command but discovered it is not part of the standard image.  Is there any supported way such as “nice” that I can increase the priority of my application?  If not then I’m assuming I can add the nice application to my image and use that command.  Does anyone have any suggests?

Thanks,

Jeff