serial port write slowness??

another question on the serial port:

I'm writing 25 bytes to COM1 at a rate of about once ever 40ms.  on the ETRAX
board, the write operation always returns that all 25 bytes are written.

On the receiver end - running on my host linux machine - for a while all 25
bytes can be read in one fell swoop - but at some point only the first 8-16
bytes get read, and the next batch must be read later.  there seems to be a
pause of greater than 3ms between the each group.  This is causing me great
headaches.

I have two threads running, one writing to COM1 periodically, the other
capturing incoming data on COM3 at 50HZ sampling rate and running an algorithm.
I have CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_FAST_TIMER enabled.

any ideas on what else I could try?