Re: License of downloadable sources

Uwe Reimann <dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.net> writes:

> are there any license restrictions on the source code
> downloadable from axis? More specifically: can the source
> of the bootloader redistributed?

(I replied to Uwe Reimann privately when this email was
originally sent, but maybe more people are interested in
the answer and an update on what's happening.)

We would like to release the bootloader under the GPL, but
there is a problem. The bootloader uses libpcap which is
under the the old BSD-license with an advertising clause.
This license is incompatible with the GPL (see <URL:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html> for more details).

The libpncap/tcpdump developers seem to be willing to switch
to a different license for their code, thereby enabling us to
release our tool under the GPL. There are a lot of developers
to get in touch with which makes this switch time consuming
at best and impossible at worst.

If anybody has seen a GPL-compatible substitute for libpcap,
it would a great help.

Niklas