Re: USB mass storage - JetFlash

leopaul wrote:
> Dear Orjan,
>
> Thank you for the quick reply. The new usb-host.c & usb-host.h did the
> charm.
> Now I can mount, umount and do other disk operations (although I have not
> tested it thoroughly. But my gut feeling says it will work ok).

(Please keep dev-etrax on the Cc: list.  Other people might be able to
help out.)

> However, I still facing problems when I boot the unit with the flash drive
> connected.
> I see two types of behavior
>
> 1. The unit crashes during initialization. I have attached the Oops report
> as well as
>     the message log for your reference. ( Oops-bad-boot.txt and
> 1407-bad.txt )

Ok, this should definitely not happen.  I cannot repeat it now, but I've
started a script to reboot the board continously (with the device
plugged in).

> 2. The unit goes through the initialization and the following error message
>     usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)
> or
>     usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=4 (error=-71)

This could be us doing something wrong during the initialization
sequence (though we simply report port changes to the upper layers and
forward traffic from it) or the device becoming unhappy for some reason.
  Does it happen regardless of how long you wait after power down before
you power on again?  I will have to be able to repeat it, to be able to
catch it on my USB analyzer to know for sure what happens.

> BTW, how do I find out amount of flash memory / ram used by the kernel as
> well as
> my appilication (not by df command). I want to know the foot print of memory
> and its usage.

For the kernel's RAM usage, check MemFree in /proc/meminfo for a rough
estimation.  There is some caching going on, so it's not an exact
figure.  There is more detailed information in /proc/slabinfo where you
can see how many objects of a certain kind is allocated ('man slabinfo'
on your Linux host should give you more information).  The flash
requirements for the compressed Linux kernel is just the size of the
vmlinuz file (in os/linux/arch/cris/boot/compressed).

For an application's RAM usage, you can probably get it from
/proc/<pid>/status (or maybe just from the output from ps), but I'm not
sure how to interpret those figures.  Maybe someone else on the list knows.

--
Orjan Friberg
Axis Communications