Compiling the ethernet driver as a module

Hi

I am trying to compile the ethernet driver in linux 2.4.19 for etrax 100
lx as a module. So far I have modified the top level makefile to support
modules so that they are compiled and added to the flash image. I have
also been able to compile ethernet.c as a module but (naturally :-) the
network  does not work when I load it. Has anyone else been able to
compile the ethernet driver for the built in interface successfully?
What changes do I have to do to the code in ethernet.c to make it work?
Are there anything "magic" related to the ethernet that I should be
aware of?

/Martin