Sync serial interface as SPI

Title: Sync serial interface as SPI

        Has anyone successfully used the etrax sync serial interface to drive a SPI interfaced peripheral? I am trying to use syncser1 in master bidirectional mode to interface to a max1270 adc converter and have not been able to get it working. I am sure the hardware wiring is correct but when I send to the port I get clocks on the ss3clk pin and no data on the ss3odata pin. It looks like the data pin is being either held high or tristated.

        I am using the 100lx mcm module with kernel 2.4.19  and with e100lx_mcm-R1_0_0.  When set kernel config I am choosing sync serial1 with no dma and using serial 0 and serial 1 for console and for an async peripheral respectively.  I would appreciate any ideas or sample code from the community.

By the way Is there a newer version of the sync_serial driver available?

Kernelconfig content for the serial ports is shown below  ….
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_FAST_TIMER is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_FLUSH_DMA_FAST is not set
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_RX_TIMEOUT_TICKS=5
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT0=y
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_NONE=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_PA is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_PB is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_MIXED is not set
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_RI_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DSR_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_CD_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DTR_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_RI_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_DSR_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER0_CD_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT1=y
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_NONE=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_PA is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_ON_PB is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DTR_RI_DSR_CD_MIXED is not set
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DTR_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_RI_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DSR_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_CD_ON_PA_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DTR_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_RI_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_DSR_ON_PB_BIT=-1
CONFIG_ETRAX_SER1_CD_ON_PB_BIT=-1
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT2 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SERIAL_PORT3 is not set
# CONFIG_ETRAX_RS485 is not set
CONFIG_ETRAX_SYNCHRONOUS_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SYNCHRONOUS_SERIAL_PORT0 is not set
CONFIG_ETRAX_SYNCHRONOUS_SERIAL_PORT1=y
# CONFIG_ETRAX_SYNCHRONOUS_SERIAL1_DMA is not set

Thanks
        Ken Parker keparker@xxxxxxx.com