RE: Serial and sync serial use

Title: Message
There exist 4 asynhronous serial ports named 0, 1, 2 and 3. There is also 2 synchronous ports called 1 and 3 (because they use the same pins as asynchronous ports 1 and 3). So in your case I would assume that your hardware uses asynchronous serial port 0 and 1 and synchronous serial port 3. In the kernel config you should therefor enabled synchronous serial port 3. I agree that this may be confusing.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com] On Behalf Of keparker@xxxxxxx.com
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 5:49 PM
To: dev-etrax
Cc: dhebert@xxxxxxx.com; pltaylor@xxxxxxx.com
Subject: Serial and sync serial use

I am confused by the etrax documentation, the hardware manuals and the kernel setup nomenclature differ in what names are used for the same hardware devices.  My problem is that we are using serial ports 0 and 1 along with sync serial 1 in kernel config.

        The Hardware engineer says we are using sync serial P3.  Is sync serial P3 the same as sync serial 1 in kernel config?  And is it possible to use this configuration of serial 0, serial 1 and sync serial 1 at the same time.  I have sync serial 1 configured with no dma.

Thanks
        Ken keparker@xxxxxxx.com