stopping the kernel from hogging /dev/ttyS0?

A quick question. Since RS232 ports are at a premium, how do I stop the
kernel hogging the /dev/ttyS0 port as the default console as it boots ?

i.e. without recompiling the kernel, is there a 'bootparam'-like setting in
a /etc/init.d file or similar which I can then reroute the console to some
other port or /dev/null ?

Thanks.

Iain.

Dr Iain G. McKay BEng(Hons) CEng MIEE
Research Officer,
Graham Technology plc
India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire PA4 9LH
ph: 0141 533 4105, em: iain.mckay@xxxxxxx.com

This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and is intended
solely for the addressee. If you have received this communication in error
please remove it and inform us via telephone or email.

Although we take all possible steps to ensure mail and attachments are free
from malicious content, malware and virii, we cannot accept any responsibility
whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative bounds.

The views represented within this mail are solely the view of the
author and do not reflect the views of Graham Technology as a whole.

Graham Technology plc                               http://www.gtnet.com