Re: USB card reader

Kenny Ng wrote:
> I add SCSI, USB and USB mass storage support and follow the
> http://mhonarc.axis.se/dev-etrax/msg03231.html  post, use latest
> usb-host.c and usb-host.h
>
> re-compile the kernel and when plug the USB card reader, I got following
> kernel messages:
>
> scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor:           Model: USB Card Reader   Rev: 1.06
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
> Current sd00:00: sns = 70  2
> ASC=3a ASCQ= 0
> Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00
> 0x00
> 0x3a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
> Partition check:
>  sda: unknown partition table
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 3

An IDE-related problem with the message "unknown partition table", was
solved by what is suggested in
http://mhonarc.axis.se/dev-etrax/msg03110.html.

As I haven't tried any of these USB card readers myself, I can't say if
the other messages are any cause for alarm.  Maybe you can search the
linux-usb-users mailing list (one searchable archive of the list is
available at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-users&r=1&w=2).
Do you get similar messages when running the device on a Linux host PC?

> Am I missing something in my kernel configuration?

Probably not in the kernel configuration, but I forgot to say you need
to create a device node for SCSI.  For example, you can add something
like this to your packages/devices/axis-2.4/Makefile (each line
beginning with a tab):

         $(MKNOD) -m 0664 -g disk   $(DEV)/sda       b   8   0
         $(MKNOD) -m 0664 -g disk   $(DEV)/sda1      b   8   1
         $(MKNOD) -m 0664 -g disk   $(DEV)/sda2      b   8   2
         $(MKNOD) -m 0664 -g disk   $(DEV)/sda3      b   8   3
         $(MKNOD) -m 0664 -g disk   $(DEV)/sda4      b   8   4

and then do a 'make install' in that directory, and the node should be
created.  (Since the root file system is read-only, you can't do a
'mknod' on the board itself.)

--
Orjan Friberg
Axis Communications