Re: Sound with Etrax

I've used a Winbond WTS701 Text to speech chip.  They are dirt cheap.
approx US$10
It comes with a low power built in amplifier so it would probably be ideal
for speaking through the phone.  I've not interfaced it to a Axis board
though,
we interfaced this to an Atmel ATMega128 and it works very well.

The nice thing about going this route is that you only need to store text
menu strings and not whole voice samples so it can be customised easily.

The only thing you'll have to figure out (and I don't think it'll be hard)
is how to get the Axis module interfaced to the WTS701.  It needs to
use SPI.  You might be able to do it through the sync serial port or
bit bash off the parellel port.  Beware that it's 3.3v logic although the
TTS chip claims to be 5V tolerant.  I'd still put a level shifter in there.

Cheers,

Matt

Surf the net and talk on the phone with Xtra Jetstream @
http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5803,00.html !