RE: adding users

Editing the passwd file on the Etrax itself will not work, as it is
part of the (readonly) cramfs image.
I don't think it's necessary to be able to add users on the fly, (at least
I certainly don't need it).
So I suggest manipulating the passwd file in your development tree,
recreate the cramfs image, and flash it.

If you really want to be able to change your /etc/passwd on a running
Etrax, you could probably create a symlink /etc/passwd (in the cramfs image)
to /mnt/flash/passwd, and make sure /mnt/flash/passwd exists (you probably
can't login without it)
I think you can create the symlink by replacing the current passwd entry in
devboard_82/packages/base-files/Makefile

Best regards,

Pieter