Auto-IP Address

Hello-

I would like to implement AUTO-IP type address assignment if a DHCP server cannot be located.  This is used in windows and some UPnP devices and assigns a random address in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range.  I think this has been implemented in some Axis print servers as well.  Doing some web searches, I found that it could also be referred to as "automatic link-local IP address allocation" as well as APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing).  This functionality is a part of the Rendezvous/Zeroconfig specifications as well.

There is a program to do this called "zcip", but it requires libpcap as well as "libnet", from http://www.packetfactory.net/libnet.

Any suggestions?

There is a decent description of Auto-IP in the following UPnP document:
http://www.upnp.org/resources/documents/CleanUPnPDA101-20031202s.pdf

thanks,
Gabe

Lars:  I saw in an earlier post that you had a wrapper makefile for building libpcap for Linux/CRIS - can you forward that to me?