jffs2 root partition

Hi,

is it possible to mount the jffs2 partition as the root partition,
skipping the cramfs partition completely? I have tried to set kernel
parameter root=/dev/mtdblock2 and modified the jffs2 image creation in
the makefile, and it appears to mount just fine, but when it is about to
run ./linuxrc, it complains that it can't open the console. /dev/console
is symlinked to /dev/ttyS2. As far as I can see, all devices exists in
the image, but I haven't actually mounted it to check.

We want to be able to upgrade all installed software with a package
manager without having to reflash.

Marcus