ifconfig resets the Etrax MCM CPU

Hallo...

I'm currently porting our software for our MCM design to the new compiler
toolkit/SDK (1.55/1.91) and I've run into a weird problem :

In the initscript "net" the program "ifconfig" is called to set the MAC
address but everytime it's called the MCM CPU resets my system. The net
script is part of the SDK, here the code and console output :

<snip>

case "$1" in
	start)
		begin "Bringing $iface up"

		[ -n "$MAC" ] || end 1 "$0: MAC is missing!"
		if [ "$MAC" != "none" ]; then
			information "BEFORE ifconfig"
			ifconfig $iface hw ether $MAC || \
				end $? "$0: ifconfig failed to set " \
				       "hardware address!"
			information "hardware address: $MAC"
		fi

		set_media

<snip>
<snip>
Determining MAC address...

	using saved MAC address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx <-is a valid mac address

	ok

Bringing lo up... ok

Bringing eth0 up...

BEFORE ifconfig
<snip>

The next line is "Uncompressing Linux" = RESET
I really have no idea what went wrong, with the old compiler/SDK
everything was working without problems.

Thank you in advance,

	Arne Bockholdt

Dipl. Inform. Arne Bockholdt
REA Elektronik GmbH