Re: PCMCIA interface or CompactFlash or general I/O

Hi,

I am working/testing/implementing a simple interface for CF cards, the board
is ready, just testing the hardware and than implementing the software.
PCMCIA Flash and CF Cards have a "real" IDE interface option (see specs i.e.
on Mitsubishi web site), so I use the IDE interface from ETRAX

Plus
- using 2 port bits for detecting card insert signals
- if needed Power select lines. I am using only 3.3 volts (all newer cards
should support this) so I have ingnored this.
- 1 port bit and logic for switching power on/off for PC/CF card (also I am
using it for enabling data and control drivers (+ some resistors for default
logic level)

As I don't need the full PCMCIA/CD card specs I just want to implement the
detection of Card insert lines

If possible on ETRAX I will use ATA driver as kernel module. Than it should be
very easy loading and unloading ata driver and thus FAT file system on
detecting card inserted/removed. This could be implemented as a daemon which
just monitors the the status of card inserted/removed

A dangerous situation is given on writing to compact flash when removing but
this is also not covered on standard pcmcia/cf card sockets.

This also occures when power fails on writing. I have covered this by
implementig a 2 step power supply (1st stage 5 volt with huge charge
capacitors and 2nd 3.3 volt) plus watching 5 volt. By undervoltage a NMI
should generate a power down with first terminating the writing app, giving
time closing files before 3.3 volt fails.

Hoping this gives you some ideas and may be someone likes to help in writing/
modifying driver/daemon (I am more hardware related and have most programming
experiances with writing drivers in assembler for i.e. OS9/68k).

If someone wants to I will provide the schematic as PDF file.

Have a nice day

Heinrich E. Seifert
Consultant for QM & PM