Re: USB device not accepting new address

Orjan Friberg wrote:

> Berland, Mathieu wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a problem with my devboard LX. I've connected a USB hub to the
> > USB port 2. This works fine but not with a HID class device. This device
> > cannot be configured by the host (I guess). No problem on a PC.
> >
> > Other people have already seen such errors but there are no solution
> > recorded in this mailing list.
> >
> > I use kernel 2.4.19 and usb-host.c 1.19.
> > USB is enabled, using port 2. I've set long timeout for slow devices
> > (?).
> >
> > Does anybody know what's happening ?
>
> So, you plug a hub into port 2, and then a HID device into the hub?

Yes

> What happens if you plug the HID device directly into port 2 on the
> board?

It works but after some errors :

Jan  1 00:02:26 AxisProduct kernel: usb-host.c: USB controller running.
Jan  1 00:02:26 AxisProduct kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 2
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct kernel: usb-host.c: assert failed at line 1676
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct last message repeated 4 times
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct kernel: Manufacturer: CHANDER_2
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct kernel: usb-host.c: assert failed at line 1676
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct kernel: Product: USB tenkeypad2
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct kernel: usb-host.c: assert failed at line 1676
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct last message repeated 3 times
Jan  1 00:02:27 AxisProduct kernel: hiddev0: USB HID v1.00 Keyboard [CHANDER_2
USB tenkeypad2] on usb1:2.0

>  Maybe some configuration of the hub itself is necessary?

I think a hub doesn't need to be configured.

>  (The
> error message BTW is due to the fact that the device doesn't answer the
> device numbering request.)  I've plugged a HID device before
> successfully (a keyboard, a low-speed device if memory serves me correctly).

> Assuming that your PC has a USB 2.0 controller, that could also be the
> reason for the different behaviour between your PC and the devboard
> (since the hub claims to be 2.0).  I don't have any experience with
> 2.0/high speed devices connected to the devboard, but maybe someone else
> on the list has.

Don't you think a USB 2.0 device is totaly compliant with the previous
specifications ?

Are the control frames electrically differents from the other ones ?
Can it be due to the PCB design of the USB transceiver ?

Thank you