RE: What's the purpose of the NETWORK variable in network.conf ?

You're absolutely right. With 2.0-based kernels it was necessary to explictily configure a route to the connected network and the NETWORK variable was used to avoid having to calculate the network address from the IP and NETMASK variables.
In newer version of our init scripts it has been removed.

--
Lars Viklund
Expert Software Engineer