JFFS2 problem

I am using devboard_82 R1_91 and 2.4.22 kernel with
our board having Etrax 100LX MCM with no external flash or RAM.

I can flash the board and generally the kernel works fine,
but I get "No space left on device" error when I am trying to
write any file on /mnt/flash. And also df says that the partition
is 100% full.

I changed everything in the top-level Makefile and in the linuxrc file
from JFFS2 to JFFS. The write errors disappeared on /mnt/flash and df
now says 25% usage.

What's wrong with JFFS2?