Building shared library with libtool

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile a library which is compiled
with the help of the autoconf/automake/libtool utilities.

I need to build shared library to be able to load them
at run time in my application.

I found that my libtool (1.5.0a on debian) can't figure
out if there is support for building shared library and
as a fallback only build static ones.

$ ./configure

checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no

I finally successfully found how to compile the library in shared mode by
hacking the generated configure file. I changed one line among the 20000
lines so that the same options than the one used for linux are used to
compile shared library for cris. It then worked out.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever faced this issue:

1: is there any solution to force libtool to use the
   "linux" way to compile shared library. (without hacking the
   generated ./configure)
2: is there any version of libtool that support architecture "cris"
   to generate share library?

In case the above does not exist, It would be a good idea
to contact the libtool author so that future version of
libtool can build shared library.

Let me know...
Aymeric