Re: Building shared library with libtool

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:59:05 +0100 (CET)
> From: Aymeric MOIZARD <jack@xxxxxxx.org>

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> > From: Aymeric MOIZARD <jack@xxxxxxx.org>
(This attribution was manually inserted, please don't delete.)

> > > I found that my libtool (1.5.0a on debian) can't figure
> > > out if there is support for building shared library and
> > > as a fallback only build static ones.

Here you were talking about your host environment, using plain
"./configure".  You said that didn't work; it couldn't find out
how to make shared libraries.  Does that work now; does it say
it can generate shared libraries?  If not, you need to make that
work first.

> > I believe you got that wrong.  Maybe a bug in your
> > configure.in/configure.ac?  Or maybe a bug in that libtool
> > version?  Check the logs and any libtool debug output.  For your
> > question later, libtool shouldn't need to be told anything
> > specifically about cris-axis-linux-gnu.
>
> On my host, I got:
>
> $ ./scripts/config.sub cris
> cris-axis-none
>
> I tried (what I didn't before)
> $ ./scripts/config.sub cris-linux
> cris-axis-linux-gnu
>
> When laucjing configure, I was doing:
>
> ./configure --host=cris
>
> Should I do this instead? (I don't have access to a host
> where the cris compiler is installed right now.)
>
> ./configure --host=cris-linux

The right use is "./configure --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu"
(or is it --target=?  Confusing as always.  Let's assume you
have that right.)

When you do this, you must have /usr/local/cris/bin in your path
(note the .../bin part).  Then libtool will then find tools by
the names it expects.

brgds, H-P