Re: Building shared library with libtool

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:08:46 +0100
> From: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@xxxxxxx.com>

Talking to myself again, and this isn't strictly about libtool
anymore.

> > Date: 18 Feb 2004 17:57:18 +0100
> > From: dan.aberg@xxxxxxx.com
>
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 17:03, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > > The right use is "./configure --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu"
> > > (or is it --target=?  Confusing as always.  Let's assume you
> > > have that right.)
> > >
> > May I even suggest:
> > "CC=cris-axis-linux-gnu-gcc ; ./configure --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu"
>
> You may of course suggest, but that shouldn't be needed, if the
> right autoconf macro is used (I forgot which one, something with
> CROSS, IIRC).

Heh, better correct that little bit of misinformation.  For the
record, and for the amusement of those who do not have the
autoconf-2.58 documentation and for those who still believe that
autoconf doesn't go well with cross-compilation: What the
documentation *does* say is to use AC_CANONICAL_HOST, then
AC_CHECK_TOOL (alternatively AC_CHECK_TOOLS), rather than
AC_CHECK_PROGRAM (and AC_CHECK_PROGRAMS), and TRT will happen.
Really, nothing more than the --host=.. option is needed at the
configure call, for a cross-build to work, if the cross-tools
are present.  (Beware: I'm not much of an autoconfiscater, I
mostly pick it up from its use in the toolchain, GCC and
friends.  If when reading this you think you know better, you
probably do. ;-)

brgds, H-P