Re: Building shared library with libtool (fwd)

Here is the result of:

./configure --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu

checking for cris-axis-linux-gnu-g77... no
checking for cris-axis-linux-gnu-f77... no
checking for cris-axis-linux-gnu-xlf... no
checking for cris-axis-linux-gnu-frt... no

After looking at the generated configure script,
this is just the way it should be!

I've made links as I said for all cris utilities like this:

cris-gcc -> cris-linux-gcc

And it just worked! :-)

There is probably another way to get it working, but
I can't figure out what it is.

Looking at the autoconf documenation, the way to find
cross compiler binaries is clear: the whole --host value
is used to determine the compiler elements.

 - Macro: AC_CHECK_TOOL (VARIABLE, PROG-TO-CHECK-FOR,
          [VALUE-IF-NOT-FOUND], [PATH])
     Like `AC_CHECK_PROG', but first looks for PROG-TO-CHECK-FOR with a
     prefix of the host type as determined by `AC_CANONICAL_HOST',
     followed by a dash (*note Canonicalizing::).  For example, if the
     user runs `configure --host=i386-gnu', then this call:
          AC_CHECK_TOOL(RANLIB, ranlib, :)

     sets `RANLIB' to `i386-gnu-ranlib' if that program exists in
     `PATH', or otherwise to `ranlib' if that program exists in `PATH',
     or to `:' if neither program exists.

Also, we know for sure that the system is

$ ./scripts/config.sub cris-axis-linux-gnu
cris-axis-linux-gnu
$ ./scripts/config.sub cris-linux
cris-axis-linux-gnu
$ ./scripts/config.sub cris
cris-axis-none

The "none" statement is bad because this confuse
libtool for building shared library and probably for
some other of its capabilities.

Thanks,
Aymeric