bootlinux error messages

We get the following error when running "flashitall" using
devboard_82-R1_91 for etrax 100LX :

Argument "d5aaeb52" isn't numeric in int at ./boot_linux line 331,
<FILE> line 51.
Can't exec "etrax100boot": Argument list too long at ./boot_linux line 247.

We get this problem on a Linux PC running a reasonably recent version of perl.
The odd thing is that we never saw this on several other Linux
machines, but only on this machine (which is the one we really wanted
to use for flashing).
The other machines have the exact same version of perl.

Has anyone else seen this or know what causes it?

Thanks,
Ted Merrill