Unable to execute a shell script by setting a PATH variable

Hi,

I am trying  to execute a shell script independent of the current
working directory ( I don't want to use /usr/bin /usr/sbin) so I am
setting a PATH variable to the directory where the shell script is
stored.
	The PATH variable is getting set properly and when I try to call it
from the shell it gives error "/bin/sh can not open sample" sample is
name of shell script.
	It works fine with other executables, only gives problem with shell
scripts.
	Is the problem is because the shell that is ash does not provide this
kind of support ?

Waiting for your reply,
Thanx in advance.

Regards,