Re: flash questions

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 01:14:32PM -0500, phil@xxxxxxx.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of building our first batch of boards that use the Etrax MCM. In our development we have used flashit and testit to load our firmware but we have never tried to put firmware on a board that contained no previous release.
>
> 1. Is there a different procedure for flashing a board for the first time?

The rescue-partition has to be written as well. "boot_linux -F" does
that (and maybe there's a script called flashitall that does the same
thing).

> The other question I have about flashing is as follows:
>
> Has anyone developed tools that would allow us to do the equivalent operation of flahsiht through the USB connection? We would like to be able to put a new firmware release on a USB flash drive for field upgrades of our product.

If you use an USB-storage device, you could just mount it, read the
new firmware from the file system of the USB device and write it to
flash. You just need to invent a way to trigger the whole thing. A
button perhaps?

Best regards
/Jonas