Re: Software reboot problem

On Monday 08 March 2004 13:34, Arne Bockholdt wrote:
> > > I'm trying to reboot our custom MCM design with help of the
> > > busybox reboot command, which is calling the kernel function
> > > hard_reset_now() indirectly
> > > to let the watchdoc reset the CPU. Unfortunetly it doesn't work, I get
> > > the "hard reset" printk and nothing happens after that
> > Did you get an answer / find the reason in the meantime?
> > We're having the same problem here with our custom design with an Etrax
> > 100LX

> It's on my TODO list, I've found out that it seems to be a problem caused
> by the configuration of the FPGA we've attached to the CPU via CSP1, it
> seems the CPU isn't able to reboot after the FPGA is configured, resetting
> the FPGA configuration (bus interface is in tri-state then, same as
> boot-time) at run-time doesn't help. We need to investigate this.

Our problem might have the same cause, since we also attached an FPGA via
CSP1.
I've done a quick test, but even when we don't configure the FPGA at all, the
hard reset does not work.

> Another related problem is that reboot doesn't call "init 6", the scripts
> for runlevel 6 weren't called, so I stick with calling "init 6" .

I think busybox' reset is designed to work with busybox' built-in init.

But if I understand you right, even "init 6" does not actually succeed in
performing the hard reset at the end?
For us, this is the case. All daemons are stopped, at the end hard_reset_now()
is called, but does not actually reset the Etrax.

Regards,

Pieter