devboard-82 software installation problems

Hi,
I am having some problems trying to install the devboard 82 software. I
have downloaded the latest release (devboard_82-R1_91.tar.gz), along
with the latest cris distribution (cris-dist-1.56-1.i386.rpm) and the
latest linux kernel (linux-2.4.22.tar.gz).
I have unpacked these files as per the instructions in the "How to
Install the Developer Board 82 Software" document, but get the following
error when i run the ./install script.

*** Your gcc-cris is too old! Upgrade to at least cris-dist-1.54
*** You can download it from
     ftp://ftp.axis.com/pub/axis/tools/cris/compiler-kit/

I use the "rpm -qi" command to verify that version 1.56 is installed
correctly, yet the error suggests that it isn't. what is causing this
error? Note that i also get this error with version 1.55 of the cris
distribution.
I have also found that after upgrading the cris distribution (from our
current version of 1.22), i can compile applications that are written in
C++, but not those written in C. I get the following error:

gcc-cris -mlinux -isystem
/sp3/axis/e100lx_mcm/target/cris-axis-linux-gnu/include -Wall -O2   -c
-o es3kprog.o es3kprog.c
<command line>: warning: "system" re-asserted
cpp: -lang-c: linker input file unused since linking not done
gcc-cris: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
make: *** [es3kprog.o] Error 1

I have checked that the "LANG" environment variable = C.

As an aside, what is the status of the flash upgrade via FTP? I have
read in the past that this functionality is unreliable, but is this
still the case with the latest release of software?

thanks in advance.
Rick.