Re: problem installing cris-dist-1.56.tar.gz

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:18:29 +0200
> From: "Kiran Rama" <RamaK@xxxxxxx.za>

> I have downloaded the following: cris-dist-1.56.tar.gz,
> cris-dist-glibc-1.56.tar.gz and cris-dist-linux-headers-1.56.tar.gz.
> Unzip them all, In cris-dist-1.56 directory, glibc and linux-headers. I
> executed the command ./install-cris-tools (login as root)  as mentiion
> in install-howto.html documentation. after +-2 and half hours it aborts
> installation : glibc build failed.

Didn't the install-cris-tools script mention a build log by the
name install-cris-tools_log and where to send it, just before
the script exited?  If so, please do.

> I also tryed to ./configure the gllibc and the following error:
> configure error: Operating system linux-gnu is not supported, where
> host system type = i686-pc-linux-gnu.

Don't try and configure glibc manually.  That is done for you by
install-cris-tools.

> Can you please give me advice and documentation in detail on how
> install the cris compiler and how to solve the above problem.
> Please reply at: Ramak@xxxxxxx.za

Is the operating system supplied by Red Hat?  If so, I suggest
you just install the RPMs.  Don't touch the tarballs.  Read no
further.

If not, please send the build log file referred to above to the
address that was mentioned.  Read no further unless you can't
see the message and you can't find the build log.

If the error message didn't mention a build log mentioned above,
please do the command "rm -rf /usr/local/cris".  Now try
rebuilding as before, but add ">buildlog 2>&1" (without the
quotes) when you issue install-cris-tools.  Send me the file
"buildlog".  You might want to compress it and send it as an
attachment, because it might be 500k-1Mbyte large.

brgds, H-P