Re: GNU gettext & Etrax

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 23:45, Jonas Holmberg wrote:
> > There usually is a locale database /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive, which
> > you really don't want to copy to the Etrax environment.
> > On my system it is 19MB, and when I tried to create a new one, with just
> > one locale in it (with localedef), it already was 1.1MB.
>
> Since cramfs is a compressed fs it is much more interesting to compare
> the size of the cramfs image with and without the file.

You're right.
My cramfs.img increased from 2.4MB to 5.5MB after adding the full
locale-archive.
A newly created locale-archive with just one locale is 1.18MB, and increases
the cramfs.img from 2.4MB to 2.6MB.

So it might be an option to create a locale-archive with just the locales you
need, and put that on the cramfs.

But since I only need the LC_MESSAGES part of the locales, I'll go for the
locale subdirs with just the LC_MESSAGES dir and the 54byte SYS_LC_MESSAGES
file in it.

Regards,

Pieter