USB storage and Linux 2.4.22

Despite repeated attempts, I cannot get the Linux kernel v2.4.22 to compile with SCSI support (which isn't surprising, since it's not included) -- regardless, I read on this mailing list that it is indeed possible to get USB storage devices to work with the board (http://mhonarc.axis.se/dev-etrax/msg03231.html), but I can't get this to work for the life of me. As far as I know, the USB keychain-type drives are SCSI-based...if there's no support for SCSI in 2.4.22, how did the previously mentioned poster get it to work? I'm a bit of a neophyte, so detailed instructions are greatly appreciated.

Also, is there any way to tell if ktest has actually connected to the board? It just says "starting boot..." interminably. Thanks in advance for the assistance.