RE: ping -b => DUP !

You get multiple responses for each ping, the MCM (172.16.4.241)
and what I assume is eth1 on your linux PC (171.16.4.1) both
respond (as they should do).  The ping application warns about
received duplicates even if they come from different destinations.
It is harmless, as it was a broadcast ping.

> The messages are correct if we use the ping directly to the MCM.
>
> Also if we try ping -b with fewer MCMs on the same network
> the MCMs become
> unreachable !

That sounds bad.  Unreachable how, the devices crash, become
unresponsive on the network, or something else?  And what do you
mean with 'fewer MCMs on the same network', you only mentioned
one MCM above?  You haven't accidentally configured the same
address on several MCMs?

/henrik