readonly file system

I have a requirement to make a change to an iptables script during ETRAX
operation, then unload and reload iptables to the script's new settings.  In
order to do this, I need to disable the read-only file system during various
file modification operations, then turn it back on.

I see that, with the web-based configuration in the AXIS 82, various files
can be edited and saved back to the filesystem image (on the ETRAX ROM?).
This seems a little far-fetched, but is it possible that these changes
become permanent?

What are the recommendations or standard procedures for modifying files
(within the ETRAX's rom-based linux O/S) so that changes will not be lost on
reboot?

Mark Richards