From: owner-dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com">mailto:owner-dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com] On
Behalf Of Mikael Starvik
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 11:30 AM
To: Ajay Kolambekar
Cc: dev-etrax
Subject: RE: Strange query on Axis devboard

Hi!

(I CC this to dev-etrax because it may be interresting for the
community)

The linux kernel considers free memory as a waste of resources. So when
you write a file to the flash the kernel decides to keep a copy in
memory
in case someone needs it again soon (RAM is much faster than flash).
But if the kernel gets low on memory it will of course throw out your
data from RAM and fetch it from flash instead when necessary.

In /proc/meminfo you can see how much the kernel has cached in this
way in the row that says Cached: .

/Mikael