Executable strip cris-strip

Hello,

I am looking for a little bit of information about using cris-strip on
executables compiled for the axis 82. I compiled picocom and it turned
out to be 79K. Then if I just simply do cris-strip on it, I get an
executable that is 22K. Both of the files seem to run fine on my Axis
box. What is the disadvantage of stripping the executable?

Also, I want to get a good overview of all this compiling stuff besides
just hacking away at it, is there a good resource someone can recommend?

Thanks,
Nate