RE: Configuring

1. Make certain you run . ./init_vars, then change to the directory where
you put your o/s sources and run make xconfig (if you're running x) or you
can edit .config.  I had not read about "not to use a simple editor" and
have done it many times with no problem.  When done, back in the home
directory "make kernel" does the job.

There's a special section for the AXIS hardware in the config file covering
the various ports, etc.

2. All I know about this is in /etc/inittab, comment out the
"sh:3:respawn:/bin/sh" line which will shut off shell access through ttyS0.
There may be another undocumented secret somewhere?

Mark Richards