Compiling libgphoto and gphoto2-2.1.4

Hello,

I'm trying to get gphoto2 (http://www.gphoto.org/) working on the Axis
82 so that we can take pictures at our sites.

Gphoto rquires libgphoto. I downloaded libgphoto2-2.1.4 and
gphoto2-2.1.4. The procedure seems to be for both to do ./configure with
options, then make, then make install. ./configure takes several
options, one being:
--host=HOST       cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST [BUILD]
I checked config.sub and found HOST=cris. So I did ./configure
--host=cris, but it did not finish successfully:

 checking if cris-gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
 checking whether the linker (/usr/local/cris/cris-axis-elf/bin/ld)
supports shared libraries... yes
 checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
 checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
 checking whether to build shared libraries... no
 creating libtool
 checking for dlopen... no
 checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
 configure: error:
 *** Could not determine how to handle
 *** shared libraries!
 [root@xxxxxxx.4]#

I'm at a loss because I'm not familiar at all with libraries, beyond
that they are required for some programs to work. What libraries are
shared, and how do I tell it how to handle them? Has anyone compiled
gphoto for the Axis, or can explain to me what I need to do to get
libgphoto to work with gphoto? I will then compile gphoto in a similar
way, do ./configure --host=cris && make.

Thanks,
Nate