From: owner-dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com">mailto:owner-dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com] On Behalf Of Frank Brown
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 4:57 PM
To: dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com
Subject: RE: RE: How to stop kernel dump to serial ports

Interestingly enough, that one won't work. What I had to do is activate port 1 (which only terminates inside the Axis-83 box) then point everything to it:

CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT1=y

You could also do this by running MAKE MENUCONFIG in /os/linux. Be sure to also enable port 1's parts in the config, and last but not least, do both

make kernel

then,

make install

then

make images

The symbolic link is picked up in the apps build, not the kernel. dev/console will be assigned to the same ttySx as the debug port. After doing this, the only way you can get to the operator level of linux on the Axis-83 is through telnet, but that works fine.

Much of the Axis code uses the fact that a def exists, not what its value is.
for instance, the
pertinent line in the source would look like

#ifdef CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT0

without reference to its defined value.

Thanks for the help, though. (I work with Ozzie)

At 12:43 PM 8/4/2004 -0400, you wrote:

> Hey,
> Recompile the kernel with
> CONFIG_ETRAX_DEBUG_PORT0=n
> Change the symbolic link of /dev/console =>/dev/ttyS0   to point to
something
> else.
> You can also comment out the following line from /etc/inittab
> #sh:3:respawn/bin/sh

Behalf Of