From: Jonas Holmberg [mailto:jonas.holmberg@xxxxxxx.com]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 9:34 AM
To: Gurkan, Ozzie [ERS/ATL]
Cc: dev-etrax@xxxxxxx.com
Subject: Re: flashing from ftp

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:05:59AM -0400, Gurkan, Ozzie [ERS/ATL] wrote:
> If your original binary was in the /mnt/flash directory, then you can
> easily ftp, stop, replace, and start again. However, if it was in the
> romfs, then, unless there is a way to put the board in boot mode, you
> cannot flash the romfs to change your executable. Does anyone else know of a solution?

Normal upgrade via FTP:

ftp> put fimage flash

When using devboard_82 (at least) the jffs-partition is upgraded after reboot. This way you can backup data from the old jffs partition to RAM and restore it to the new jffs-partition. (See

packages/initscripts/fsupgrade-jffs2-network-only/rc.fsupgrade)

Repartitioning upgrade via FTP:

ftp> put fimage flash_all

If you need to change the partition sizes during upgrade there's no way to backup and restore data.

/Jonas (Risking getting more comments about our lacking documentation)