Re: Compiling libgphoto and gphoto2-2.1.4

Nathan.Smith@xxxxxxx.gov wrote:

> Can you understand why I'm befuddled? Did you then try doing make? When
> I do make I see it perform gcc on a whole bunch of things, not cris-gcc.
> Finally though, when I do make after ./configure
> --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu, and then the same in the gphoto2 directory,
> I get a binary in the gphoto2 source directory that runs on my
> development box. (I've not tried the same binary on the Axis, but unless
> I'm really confused, that has no chance of working).

No, you're right - my advice was pretty worthless as configure picked up
all the wrong binaries.

> I suppose my next step is to dive into the configure script. I should
> check why when I do ./configure --host=cris it finds gcc-cris, but when
> I do --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu it does not. I hope what I've described
> may tell someone here what the real issue is.

While I can't say what the real issue is, or that this necessarily is
the right way to do it, the following worked for me:

   export PATH=/usr/local/cris/r56/bin:$PATH

then

   ./configure --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu

(At least it builds what seems to be a CRIS library.  The "export" is
not needed for configure, but for doing 'make' afterwards.)

The problem with running configure with --host=cris-axis-linux-gnu may
be due to the fact that gcc-cris is just a script which calls the
appropriate binary depending on what flags are passed (normally Linux
binaries are built with gcc-cris -mlinux which invokes
cris-axis-linux-gnu-gcc).  Configure seems to expect to find
cris-axis-linux-gnu-gcc in your $PATH, which it doesn't.  What I did was
simply to provide the path to the actual binaries.

As a side note, I tried

   CFLAGS=-mlinux ./configure --host=cris

which selects the correct gcc-cris compiler and all, but the subsequent
'make' quickly fails.

--
Orjan Friberg
Axis Communications