Re: Information command

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 01:44:05PM -0400, Mark Richards wrote:
> In the scripts (example /etc/init.d/net.eth0) there's a command
> "information" that is followed by a string.
>
> Example:
>
> 		information "IP address: $IP"
> 		information "netmask: $NETMASK"
> 		information "broadcast address: $BROADCAST"
>
> I looked in dmesg and in logs and also on the screen output (terminal)
> during booting but do not see these messages (if they are supposed to)
> appear anywhere.
>
> I cannot find documentation on this command.
>
> What is it?
>
> If it does not output to the screen, is there an acceptable command that
> does?

It goes to stdout of the process executing the script. At boot stdout
for all initscripts is the debug port (serial) as defined in
kernelconfig (it may be turned off completely). If you run:

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

you will see the output. If you want the output to go to syslog you
could for example do:

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart | logger

instead. The information, warning and error functions are defined in
/etc/init.d/functions.sh. Modify them if you need to change their
behaviour to write a log somewhere at boot, but there's no point
logging to syslog before syslogd is started though.

/Jonas