Re: Compile directly on target?

> From: "Mark Richards" <mark.richards@xxxxxxx.com>
> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:55:25 -0400

> I'm asking my Etrax 82 to do a lot lately and apologize to the list if I am
> asking too many questions.  However, perhaps my enthusiasm (and newness)
> will be inspiring and maybe helpful to others who want to use this platform.
>
> I have installed a flash memory card reader on the Etrax 82 (and have docs
> for doing so if anyone needs them).  This was done to enable the following:

I *seriously* rather suggest NFS mounts if you want to add
storage and expecting any amount of data going through it.
Flash memory is a bit too short-lived to use as "real"
short-term (seconds, minutes, hours) storage.  Related
sidetrack: I used a SanDisk cruzer mini 256M (a USB flash stick)
on a devboard_82 to store SMTP transaction logs at ~300KiB a day
over the last four weeks, and it's developed too many bad
sectors for this to be useful for that kind of throughput
workloads.  NB: Maybe I goofed.

> I'd like to install the cris compiler on the etrax itself.  This will
> permit, I presume, compilation and linking without having to perform any
> special hacks or workarounds or makefile adjustments.  In fact, I may be
> wrong but am assuming that a cross-compiler might not be
> needed at all.

Since you ask, IMHO you're underestimating the work to get the
toolchain up on the target system (which is not designed for
compilation so it'll be quite much slower than your PC), and
overestimating the work-overhead of cross-compilation.

> Maybe I must just install gcc and binutils and go.
>
> Has anyone done this?

Yes, but on a larger (or "less smaller") system, corresponding
to "devboard_ide".  And don't forget that I maintain the
toolchain.

In summary, it's *not* worthwhile, particularly not if the main
reason you want to pursue this is that you consider
cross-compilation a bit complicated.

>  Any suggestions?

I *really* suggest you stick to cross-compilation.  There's lots
of other fun stuff to do.

brgds, H-P