Environment

I have an application that requires a global environment variable be present
and this same application will be started when the AXIS 82 starts up.

The code to set the variable is:

echo "Exporting environment variables"
HOME=/home
NCFTPDIR=/var/run
export HOME NCFTPDIR

I've put this code directly in the rc script.  The text "Exporting
environment variables" appears on the system's boot console.  Yet when I
issue "set" or "env", it does not appear in the initial environment.

/etc/profile works, but only for a login shell.  What I want to see are
these two environment variables set in the initial environment (and then
propagate to any shell).

This may seem like a stupid question.  I've done quite a lot of searching
but can only find information on setting up shell environments.

Mark Richards