Technique for field updates

Our Axis unit (we're starting with the 83) will be in several different
environments.  Some will have the benefit of a persistent connection, but
others will only connect via a dialup usb modem on a daily basis.  One of
our concerns is the ability to update certain files without having to
re-flash.  Of course, we can do so in the non-read-only spaces, but in
readonly locations like /usr/html it seems impossible.

Is there a method available to perform field changes in production units to
specified files without having to flash?

Mark Richards